The Last Full Measure

Our little Johnny died at midday today, only a few feet from the spot where I had first laid eyes on him, some 16 1/2 years ago. He was still warm when I got home from work and I thought he was sleeping, so let him be. Only when I went downstairs a bit later to bring him up to the bedroom to be with us did I realize he was gone.

He seems to have gone peacefully, painlessly we hope. That little stripey kitten surely gave us all his best, all the years of his life. He made this house a home and became the center around which we have built our House of Many Cats over the years.

So, we shed a few tears for him and tomorrow we will bury him just inches away from Newt, his life-long friend and companion. As sad as it is to say goodbye to him, it also seems right that he and Newt should be together now. They left a heart full of memories behind them and will both be a part of us and our home forever.

Comments

Popular Posts