Dinky Update

Just finally heard from the vet about Dinky's bloodwork.

Her liver and thyroid are fine--it's her kidney function that is low and she is also slightly anemic, which can be a side-effect of decreased kidney function. I will get together with Dots early next week to find out exactly how to go about treating Dinky's condition. I found a great website about CRF (chronic renal failure) and have set about educating myself. I am glad I learned how to administer subcutaneous fluids--that is a major part in managing this condition. I guess I'll know more after I talk with Dots. She seemed more concerned with Dink's anemia at the moment.

Dinky herself seems totally unconcerned with anything. I have had a couple days now to adjust to all this. This is the way that Dinky will age and she will probably succumb to kidney failure or a related problem in time. But for right now, she is looking great--her usual bright and active self--so I will roll up my sleeves and see what I can do to support her. Older cats are prone to hyperthyroidism, diabetes or kidney failure, so I need to know how to treat this condition. Assuredly Dinky is not the last cat we have who will face this problem.

"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time you are given."

Comments

Popular Posts